At Foundation Chiropractic, one of our specific areas of chiropractic care for many patients is auto accident recovery. From whiplash treatment to many other areas, we provide care and pain relief for those who have recently been injured in any kind of car accident.
A common symptom for those in this position, and one that also often indicates issues in the neck, spine and other areas we help treat: Headaches. Some will feel headache symptoms almost immediately after an accident, while others may have delayed symptoms that only show up after a period of hours or even, in some cases, days. What are the causes of car accident headaches, what signs should you be aware of, and how will chiropractic care help limit headache symptoms and several others? This two-part blog series will investigate.
Causes of Car Accident Headache
There are a few common events in car accidents that often lead to headaches:
- Head impact: Contact to the head may happen during some vehicle accidents, and this alone might lead to regular headaches.
- Concussion: In many cases, this head contact will be severe enough to create a concussion. This is when the brain shakes rapidly against the skull, and can lead to symptoms ranging from confusion to blurry vision, memory problems or issues with balance.
- Whiplash: Whiplash, which occurs due to a rocking motion of the neck that also involves the head, may also lead to headaches – along with other symptoms like loss of motion, neck soreness and stiffness.
Signs to Know
As we noted above, not all headaches as a result of a car accident will show up immediately. Some will be delayed, often significantly, generally due to adrenaline from the accident. Some signs to look out for include:
- Tightness or pressure in the forehead
- Pressure on the sides or back of the head
- Dull aching feeling in the head
- Tenderness in the scalp, neck or shoulders
Luckily, chiropractic care is just one treatment area that will provide valuable relief here. Our subsequent sections in this series will go over how chiropractic adjustments assist with accident-related headaches, plus the other issues they indicate.
When vertebrae in the spine becomes misaligned or out of place, one of the common results is a pinched nerve. This causes pain in other areas of the body, possibly including headaches in some cases. However, basic spinal manipulation from your chiropractor will move vertebrae back into proper alignment, fixing this issue without requiring any kind of surgery or invasive procedures. For those who are dealing with this misalignment due to a vehicle accident, including those experiencing headaches as a result, this simple adjustment often makes a huge difference.
For more on how chiropractors help with headaches following a car accident, or to learn about any of our chiropractic care services, speak to the staff at Foundation Chiropractic today.